Variegated Chain of Hearts
Variegated Chain of Hearts is a succulent-like trailing vine with small heart-shaped purple and silver leaves. The variegated type also has white/yellow and pink edges to the leaves. Easy to grow and adaptable to various conditions, although it is sensitive to too much water, well-draining soil is essential.
- This Variegated Chain of Hearts comes in an 8cm biodegradable pot, which is stable and can be left as is or planted into another pot - the choice is yours.
- We recommend matching with one of our concrete plant pots. You can also check out our other indoor plants here.
- You will receive a Chain of Hearts plant similar to the one pictured.
🪴 General care: Easy
- Variegated Chain of hearts is very easy to care for. Being very adaptable to light and tolerance for no water makes it one of the great indoor plants for beginners. Bright light and infrequent waterings are key for a healthy plant.
- Another benefit is that the chain of hearts doesn’t need a big pot or to be repotted often due to the small root structure - easy!
💦 Water: Infrequent
- Because it is a succulent-like plant that has adapted to dry conditions, Variegated Chain of hearts does not require frequent waterings. It has swollen tubers in the soil which retain a lot of water and nutrients. So, make sure to let the soil dry out completely before watering again.
- In Summer, if it’s hot and getting a lot of light it will need watering more often, once a week depending on the size of the plant and pot. While, in Winter, the growth is slow and the temperature drops so water sparingly, once every fortnight.
- Also, make sure the soil is well draining because Variegated Chain of hearts is prone to rotting, so if in doubt, leave it for another week. It's very hard to kill from not enough water.
☀️ Light: Moderate
- Being able to grow in both dark and light conditions makes Variegated Chain of hearts very versatile in terms of light requirements. For best growth however, a chain of hearts likes bright indirect light, some direct light in the morning is okay.
- Bright indirect sunlight will encourage faster growth and healthier colourful leaves. Not enough sun, and the leaves and stems become pale, too much sun and the leaves can burn and turn brown.
🌱 Growth: Fast-growing vine
- Variegated Chain of Hearts (or String of Hearts for some) grows moderate to fast, depending on light conditions and temperature. It grows much faster in Summer and the growth rate slows down in Winter.
- This plant prefers warmer areas but this is not necessary. Protect them from very low temperatures and draughts.
- They will grow in standard home humidity.
✂️ Maintenance: Low
- This houseplant is low-maintenance but because it is a hanging vine it may need to be trimmed. It depends on how you want your plant to look.
- Make sure to save any trimmings as they can be used for propagation either in soil or water.
For more details read our full Variegated Chain of Hearts Care here.
Shipping & Returns
Shipping & Returns
- We currently ship nationwide in New Zealand with all orders tracked using NZ post couriers. Delivery times are usually 1-2 days for most places, however some may take 3-4 days. Please note that although we try to pack your orders as quickly as possible we have no control over any delays the courier might have.
- Once your order has been fulfilled you will recieve a confirmation email with a tracking number that has been assigned to your order.
- Delivery is free on orders over $150. We calculate shipping rate depending on location which you select at the checkout or see here.
- We carefully wrap all our products in 100% eco-friendly packaging from the tissue to the tape to the card. Everything is either recyclable, compostable or biodegradable.
If you are unhappy with your order please contact us through Instagram, Facebook, or email. We will be in touch with you as soon as possible. Please see our shipping policy here and our returns policy here. Alternatively, at the bottom of the site for more details.