Calathea Rufibarba is one of the easiest Calatheas to grow, having attractive long petioles with green and purple fuzzy leaves. It forms dense a bush that looks great in any space.
- This plant comes in a plastic nursery pot.
- We recommend matching with one of our concrete plant pots, you can also checkout our other indoor plants here.
- You will receive a Calathea Rufibarba similar to the one pictured.
🪴 General care: Medium
- Despite other types of Calathea being notoriously difficult to keep healthy, Rufibara is surprisingly easy. It is versatile in terms of light requirements and doesn't need to be repotted often, making it one of the great indoor plants for anyone.
- Bright light and infrequent waterings are key for a healthy plant.
💦 Water: Moderate
- In general, water Calathea Rufibarba once per or week, it likes to be slightly damp but not wet. A good way to check if they need water is with a Sustee Soil Mositure Meter.
- In Summer, if it’s hot and getting a lot of light it will need watering more often, once or twice a week depending on the size of the plant and pot. While, in Winter, the growth is slow and the temperature drops so water sparingly, once every fortnight.
- Underwatering is easy to tell as the long leaves will droop and become limp.
☀️ Light: Moderate
- Being able to grow in both dark and light conditions makes Calathea Rufibarba very versatile in terms of light requirements. For best growth however, a Calathea likes bright indirect light which helps keep the leaves colourful.
- Bright indirect sunlight will encourage faster growth and healthier leaves whereas, not enough sun and the leaves and stems become pale and elongated, too much direct sun and the leaves can burn and turn brown.
- This plant will grow in low light, albeit slower than usual.
🌱 Growth: Medium bushy plant
- Calathea Rufibarba grows slowly compared to other plants, depending on light conditions and temperature.
✂️ Maintenance: Low
- This houseplant is low-maintenance. For easy watering while you're away or just if you need an extra hand, check out our Plant Self-Watering System.
- Fertilise during growth periods such as in Spring and Summer.
- Make sure to remove any dead or old leaves as it grows to keep them looking fresh.
For more information you can read this article about Calathea Rufibarba Care.
Shipping & Returns
Shipping & Returns
- We currently ship nationwide in New Zealand with all orders tracked using NZ post couriers. Delivery times are usually 1-2 days for most places, however some may take 3-4 days. Please note that although we try to pack your orders as quickly as possible we have no control over any delays the courier might have.
- Once your order has been fulfilled you will recieve a confirmation email with a tracking number that has been assigned to your order.
- Delivery is free on orders over $150. We calculate shipping rate depending on location which you select at the checkout or see here.
- We carefully wrap all our products in 100% eco-friendly packaging from the tissue to the tape to the card. Everything is either recyclable, compostable or biodegradable.
If you are unhappy with your order please contact us through Instagram, Facebook, or email. We will be in touch with you as soon as possible. Please see our shipping policy here and our returns policy here. Alternatively, at the bottom of the site for more details.